Gambas Al Ahijo (garlic prawns) is a tapas dish which is popular in Spain. It’s simmered prawns in garlic olive oil. “Ahijo” is also a popular starter dish in Japan, after the Spanish style bars introduced it. It seems that you can make it with octopus or calamari as well, but today, I’d like to share my recipe for prawns and mushrooms Ahijo.
Ingredients for Prawns and Mushrooms Ahijo
- Prawns: 8 to 10
- Mushrooms: 3 to 5
- Olive Oil: about 150 ml
- Garlic: plenty
- Dried Chillies: appropriate amount
- Salt: moderate amount
- Black Pepper: for a final finish
- Shell the prawns
- Finely chop the garlic, cut the mushrooms into 4 pieces.
How to Cook Prawns and Mushrooms Ahijo
- Put olive oil, chopped garlic and dried chillies in a small pan and heat on a low heat.
- When the oil gets warm add salt and mushrooms and simmer.
- When the mushrooms are cooked add the prawns.
- After the prawns are cooked, sprinkle with black pepper and serve while it’s hot.
The garlic oil goes well with baguette. If you have leftover oil you can use it for stir-fry vegetables or as a salad dressing the next day.