We bought “Snow Legs” in a supermarket the other day. They look like snow crab legs, but they are not. They are a sort of fish cake processed to look like crab legs. These types of products are popular in Japan from the cheap one to expensive ones which actually taste like crab meat. Today, I would like to share a common Japanese recipe for crab sticks.
Ingredients for Vinegared Crab Sticks and Cucumber Salad
- Crab Sticks: 3
- Cucumber: 1
- Vinegar: 1tablespoon
- Soy sauce: ⅓ tablespoons
- Sugar: ⅓ tablespoons
- Sesame Oil: a little
- Sesame Seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: a little
How to make Vinegared Crab Sticks and Cucumber Salad
1. Thinly slice the cucumber and sprinkle it with salt, mix well by hand and rest for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, roast the sesame seeds in a pan without oil until they change colour, then grind them.
3. Thinly slice the crab sticks or split them by hand.
4. Put vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl, mix well to melt sugar.
5. After resting 10 minutes, the water comes out from the salted cucumber. Roughly squeeze them to remove the liquid.
6. Add the crab sticks to the cucumber and other ingredients, mix well and serve.
If you like spicy food, you can add sambal to the dressing.