Thai green papaya salad (Som Tum) is one of our favourite dishes. When we go to Thailand, we love to eat green papaya salad from the night market.
Thai people use a specific wooden bowl to make green papaya salad. We don't have one, but we can still make the papaya salad.
Thais often put dried shrimp or crab in the papaya salad in order to give it a distinctive flavour. Although we don't use them, it still tastes nice.
Ingredients for Thai Green Papaya Salad
- Green Papaya: ½
- Tomato: 1-2
- Garlic: 1-2 cloves
- Red Chili: 1-3 pieces
- Fish Sauce: 4 tablespoons
- Sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Lime: 1
- Crushed Peanuts
How to Make Thai Green Papaya Salad
1. Take the seeds out of the green papaya and peel it.
2. Cut deep notches with 5-7 mm gaps between each other and shred it with a peeler (you can also thinly slice it and cut into small pieces with a knife).
3. Put the shredded papaya in a bowl, add cut tomatoes, crushed garlic, red chillies and bang them with a pestle until the green papaya gets soft and a little transparent in colour.
4. Mix the fish sauce, sugar and lime juice in another bowl.
5. Pour the dressing into papaya salad and stir.
6. Put the crushed peanuts, coriander on the top, and serve.