This is one of the most popular seasoned rice recipes in Japan. Hijiki is a kind of seaweed, normally dried and we use it after soaking in water. Hijiki gives a distinctive seaweed flavour. We often add small pieces of chicken meat to cook together, but today I used my chicken stock instead of chicken meat which I had made the other day.
Ingredients for Hijiki Seaweed Rice
- Rice: 250ml
- Chicken Stock: 450ml
- Dried Hijiki Seaweed: about 4-5g
- Carrot: ½ to 1 small size
- Mushrooms: 2
- Soy Sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Mirin: 2 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
How to Cook Hijiki Seaweed Rice
1. Soak the dried Hijiki seaweed in water. After they have swollen up, roughly rinse them and drain.
2. Cut the carrot and mushroom into thin small pieces.
3. Place all of the ingredients in a rice cooker and cook it as you cook normal rice.