This is a very popular dish in Chinese restaurants in Japan, but funnily, I have never seen it in Chinese restaurants in China. It seems to be a Japanese modified Chinese food that Japanese people believe is the traditional Chinese food. No matter which nationality it officially is, it’s just delicious and tasty! So I would like to share the recipe.
Ingredients Spicy Shrimp (Ebi Chilli)
- Shrimp: 340g
- Onion: 1
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Chives or Spring Onions
- Salt, Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Shaoxing Cooking Wine or White Wine: 1 tablespoon
- Chicken Stock: 80ml
- Sambal or Doubanjiang: 1 teaspoon
- Tomato Ketchup: 1 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce: 1 teaspoon
- Shell the shrimps.
- Chop up the onion, garlic, ginger and chives (or spring onions).
- Make the sauce: Mix the ingredients for the sauce.
How to Cook Spicy Shrimp (Ebi Chilli)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, add ginger, garlic and chopped onion.
- Add shrimps and Shaoxing cooking wine, salt, black pepper and cook them until the shrimps change the colour.
- Pour the sauce into the wok, cook them on a high heat, occasionally stirring.
- Take it off the heat after it is hot, place it on a plate, sprinkle the chopped chives or spring onions and serve.