We love Asian food and Indonesian Chicken satay is one of our favourite Asian dishes. The key is the peanut based sauce which is a complex mix of sweetness, sourness and saltiness. It looks complicated to make, but in fact it's not difficult at all.
There are lots of recipes to make this dish but I believe that my recipe is one of the easiest. It's a perfect dish for BBQ on sunny days. When you have your friends it's also easy to handle; you need a bit of preparation and chuck the meat on the grill, serve them with sate sauce which is also prepared in advance. If you like spicy food, you can add more sambal or red chilli.
Ingredients for Indonesian Chicken Satay
- Chicken: 300-400g
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Ginger: 1 piece
- Curry Powder
- Cumin Power
- Coriander Powder
- Red Chilli Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Fish Sauce: 1-2 teaspoons
- Yoghurt: 1 and ½ tablespoons
- Peanut Butter: 3 tablespoons
- Fish Sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Maple Syrup (or Sugar): 1-2 teaspoons
- Vinegar: 2 teaspoons
- Sesame Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Sambal: 1-2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice: ⅛ pieces
You can adjust the amount of maple syrup or sugar depending on the sweetness of peanut butter.
- Cut the chicken into one bite size.
- Grate ginger and garlic, mix with other ingredients for marinade.
- Marinate the chicken with marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix well all of the ingredients for satay sauce.
How to Make Indonesian Chicken Satay
- Skewer the marinated chicken and grill.
- After they are cooked, serve with satay sauce.